Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Mouths Filled with Laughter

When the LORD restored the fortunes of Zion,
   we were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
   and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then they said among the nations,
    "The LORD has done great things for them."
The LORD has done great things for us;
   we are glad. [Psalm 126: 1-3]

I haven't been able to get away from this verse lately. Actually, it's always been one of my favourites, always lingering in the back of my mind. It's just been up front for a bit now. I've been challenged to live with my mouth filled with laughter. Not laughter like life is funny, because really, life isn't always all that funny. It can be brutal. But laughter as in, God is good and I am grateful. Gratitude is one of those things that the Lord has been challenging me on lately. Gratitude is, I believe, a key to having true joy. Gratitude always looks for the blessings of life, rather than the things that make it brutal. Gratitude looks at the face of the God who provides all my needs, rather than what I think is lacking. Gratitude isn't always a feeling, it's a choice to believe good things and be glad. I know I won't always be "happy", but I can always find something to be grateful for. Right now, it's the homemade ham and pea soup with cornbread that I'm about to eat for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment